Dickson Grist Mill

Location: Galt

Status: Converted into Riverbank Mill restaurant

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: Known locally as the Dickson Mill, the large five-storey limestone structure was constructed in 1842 in the Scottish pioneer style, on the east bank of the Grand River in Cambridge. After many years of service as a grist mill, the building stood idle for some years and in 1899, a gas plant for lighting Galtís street lamps moved into the building. It later became a shoe factory and then an auto supply store.

In 1980 the building was purchased by a group of local businessmen and it now operates as a restaurant. It is the oldest building in the Galt section of Cambridge today and offers diners a magnificent view of the Grand River and the adjacent Parkhill Dam.