Lenís Mill

Location: Hespeler

Status: The mill is closed, Lenís Mill Store operate outlets in one of the buildings.

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: Hespeler had a number of mills along the west bank of the Speed River. In 1864 a stone woollen mill was constructed by Randall-Farr and Co. on land that had been purchased from Jacob Hespeler for $8,000. By 1888 George Forbes was operating R. Forbes Co. Ltd. and developed the industry into the largest woollen mill in the British Empire. The mill was the communityís major employer in its time, employing up to 1,500 workers.

The business was sold to Dominion Woolen and Worsteds Limited in 1928. It became Silknit in 1959, after going into receivership and finally closed in 1984. About one-third of the building was razed in the mid-1980s after a fire. Today the popular outlet "Lenís Mill Store" occupies the building, along with "Cambridge Fibres" and "The Gift Mill" gift shop.