American Standard Mill

Location: Hespeler

Status: Viewing only.

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: This four-storey limestone building on the Speed River was initially built in 1847 by Jacob Hespeler as a stone grist and flour mill. He later added a sawmill and a woollen mill, the first in Hespeler, close to the grist mill. During the twentieth century, the former mill site has had a variety of names. The owners have been American Standard since 1969, now a division of Wabco Standard Drain.

Today on the riverside, there is an opening in the former mill, now bricked in, where the raceway emptied the water back into the Speed River. The mill dam and adjacent "Jacobís Landing" park are a great place to view this historic stone mill.