Cataract Falls (Churches Falls)

Location: Cataract

Type: Plunge

Watercourse: Credit River

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: This used to be an industrial waterfall and is surrounded by ruins. The old hydro generating station began producing energy for the surrounding area in 1899. Before that the building was used as a flour mill served by the railway that still uses the tretle bridge over the Credit. Pror to the flour mill a sawmill occupied the site.

This waterfall is located in the Forks of the Credit Park, which is a well known park that gets a fair number of weekend visitors from Toronto. The park is a mix of forest, old fields and ponds. The trail to the waterfalls is relatively well signed, but the walk to the falls is about 40 minutes. A steel walkway and viewing platform provides a decent view of the waterfall from the side of the high walls of the Credit River gorge.

The waterfall and ruins

A small waterfall upstream