Location: Port Perry
Status: The building is used by local retailers.
Waypoint: Google Map
Summary: During this exciting period in Port Perry's history, one of the areas most prominent and successful grain buyers, George Currie, began construction on what would become a landmark on the waterfront for generations. In fact, Currie's Grain Elevator still stands today, more than 125 years later, as a monument to the vision of Mr. Currie and his colleagues.
Currie moved to Port Perry in 1872, during the summer of 1873 he built an impressive new home at the south-west corner of Queen and Ella St. This was also the same year that he began construction of a large new grain elevator near the busy railway station at Port Perry's lakefront. The elevator was built on a stone foundation measuring 24 inches thick and above the foundation the entire structure was made of wood.
The landmark building was purchased in 1980 by Fred Burghgraef whose son Jim opened Port Perry Auto Supply in the building in 1981. The building is currently occupied by the auto supply store and other sections of the building are rented out to small retailers.