Lindsay Old Mill Ruins

Location: Lindsay

Status: Opened as city park

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: In 1827, The Purdy's, an American family, built a dam on the Scugog River at the site of present-day Lindsay. The following year they built a sawmill and in 1830, a grist mill was constructed. A small village grew up around the mills and it was known as Purdy's Mills.

The mill destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in 1869. The existing structure once contained a stone flour mill and a lumber mill. A tramway was built across the river to the railway tracks. Destroyed by fire in 1978, the remaining structure has been incorporated into a park.