Hortop Mill

Location: Everton

Status: Viewing only - Closed to the public

Waypoint: Google Map

Summary: By1865 a three-storey flour and grist mill had been constructed on an ideal spot along the Eramosa River. The property was purchased in 1874 by Henry Hortop Jr. and remained in the Hortop family for three generations, producing soft flour that was exported around the world under the brand name Lily White Flour.

In 1966 the mill was purchased by the Grand River Conservation Authority and the Everton Dam was replaced in 1990. Today, the Hortop Mill in Everton is closed to the public but remains a popular spot for photographers and artists. Evidence of the mill race and a mill grinding stone can be seen from the road.

The gorge behide the mill

The grinding stone